THE MISSION OF CHRISTINA CULTURAL ARTS CENTER INC. (CCAC) IS TO EMPOWER UNDERSERVED COMMUNITIES THROUGH ARTS EDUCATION.
CCAC provides affordable arts, education, instruction, career pathways, paid internships, gallery exhibitions, and live performances accessible to all in a welcoming environment. CCAC offers one of the only integrated arts and academic programs in Delaware, utilizing the power of arts to promote school success and positive social behavior. For nearly 80 years, CCAC has been an anchor in the Delaware arts community and Wilmington’s Creative District, focusing on the tenets of Hope, Knowledge, Inspiration & Passion. CCAC offers one of the only integrated arts and academic programs in Delaware, utilizing the power of arts to promote school success, career training, and positive social behavior.
Christina produces the only comprehensive arts and education program in Delaware with a core mission to utilize arts education to promote school success, career training, and positive social behavior. To fulfill its mission, we:
- Welcome students from the very young to youth and adults, with diverse abilities, ethnicities and lifestyles
- Offer quality music, dance, drama and visual art instruction taught by professional artists
- Connect the Arts with literacy, social capital, wellness and community development
- Provide support to emerging and established professionals in creative fields
Today, Christina Cultural Arts Center Inc. is a gathering place for all exploring diverse creative expressions reflecting our shared American heritage. Annual serves more than 2,500 students in the school of the arts, area public schools, community outreach sites, and parks are reached with quality arts and cultural programs. More than 10,000 arts supporters annually attended the public dance, music, drama performance, and visual art exhibitions hosted by CCAC. We collaborate with local and national partners — businesses, educators, and artists — to promote the creative industry and advocate for the socio-economic impact of the arts in our community. Christina Cultural Arts Center is a member of the Mid Atlantic Foundation Jazz Touring Network.
Christina Cultural Arts Center Inc. was founded in 1945 by the Women’s Club of Trinity Episcopal Church to provide activities for immigrant Polish and Swedish working-class families. In 1969, Christina shifted its mission to become a community-based arts center, emphasizing the preservation of African-American cultural heritage. In 1993, Christina completed a capital campaign to purchase and renovate its central location in downtown Wilmington at 705 N. Market Street.
Christina Cultural Arts Center has direct evidence that quality arts programming and instruction:
- Promotes a passion for academic excellence
- Promotes physical and emotional wellness
- Generates community development and economic empowerment
- Fosters dialogue around social concerns
- Builds a more civil society through partnerships
- Enhances the quality of life in our community